[ROVERNET - UK] Electrical Question

Slatskars slatskars at comcast.net
Sun May 13 05:00:22 BST 2007

Walter,

If it is a generator rather than an alternator your problem is probably the
cut off in the regulator. If it is the generator it should be armature or
field coil open or the brushes are really worn down. If it is an alternator
it is most likely one or more diodes in the rectifier pack are gone. These
can be checked with an ohm meter. They should only read in one direction -
front to back resistance. Put the ohm meter leads across and if there is
continuity, reverse the leads. If there is continuity this way it is
shorted. With no continuity either way it is open. I replaced an alternator
in my 74 MGB because a bearing went out with a newly rebuilt alternator. The
light not only did not go out, but increased in brightness as I increased
engine rpm. A second rebuilt alternator cured the problem. You want to test
it with a known good unit.

When you did the R&R of the generator and voltage regulator, did you
polarize the system?

Slats