[ROVERNET - UK] Rearend woes - Rear end noise in 3500 S

Hank and Sally Manwell hdmanwell at alumni.bates.edu
Mon Oct 22 17:32:53 BST 2007

I'm reminded that back in the early 70s when one of my father's 2000TCs
wasn't very old, he drove into his yard at home one fine day and went to
back out an hour or so later and found the rear end seized.  We opened it up
and found one of the cluster gears had broken into two or more pieces.

He ordered up an entire new set of gears, ring, pinion, clusters, and all,
which Rover North America was glad to sell him.  While we'd been able to
dismantle the thing, we didn't trust ourselves to get the assembly set up
again just right, so called Rovers again to see what nearby dealer they
would suggest for reassembly.

They said there was no dealer they could think of in the entire USA who
would be qualified to do that.  So we went out and bought a whole parts car
and exchanged units.  No other similar trouble in his 20 years or so of
driving those cars.

We still have all those new gears; hope they haven't deteriorated from
sitting around.

Hank