[ROVERNET - UK] Re: 3500S intermittent power loss

Christopher Smith csmith at ssl.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 20 22:43:44 BST 2007

I removed the fuel pump on my 3500S and have a question concerning its internal
setup if anyone has taken one of these apart before. The screen was a little
dirty but not too bad, so I figure I am left with three possible causes at this
point:
- Fuel pump doesn't work efficiently (I know it runs)
- fuel lines are clogged between the tank and pump
- the pickups in the tank are clogged

I don't have any way of measuring the pressure output of the pump so all I can
do is look at is. When you take it apart there are two reddish brown valves on
the solenoid piston assembly. The one on top is spring loaded and allows fuel
into the cylinder as the solenoid withdraws. There is a second valve at the top
of the piston itself that I assume would do the opposite. Mine is just kind of
lying in there and is not spring loaded. The only thing that would close it
would be momentum or back pressure from the fuel on the other side. Seems wrong
to me but I can't seem to take the piston apart anymore to look at it. Has
anyone played with these before? Should that second valve be spring loaded?
Also can anyone recommend a replacement fuel pump that is available from a
regular auto parts store?

Chris
1970 3500S
Northern California, USA