[ROVERNET - UK] Re: 3500S Options, still...

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Tue Apr 1 21:16:13 BST 2008

Geoff Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Holy crap, look at the price they are asking for that car.  UK listers, would it really sell for something close to 3,750 pounds on that side of the pond?  If so, my buddy and I really need to get going with the export business we keep threatening to start.  That would be maybe a $1500 car over here.
>
> Geoff

If you got to
http://www.rover-classics.co.uk/pages/restoration/index.html , the owner
describes a restoration of a NADA Federal 3500S that cost  £16,000. Now,
isn't a pound worth about $2 at this point?

What's interesting about that car is that it was RHD before he restored
it. Once again, what's the VIN? Did someone convert it from an NADA car?
Or is it a clone? I also notice that the seats and grille are different
from the 3500S we got in the states. There are no pictures of the door
panels, but I think I see a rotary knob for one of the vent windows. I'd
wager anything that this is a home market 3500 with a lot of NADA 3500S
bits screwed on. Beautiful automobile and excellent workmanship.

I can see wanting a RHD car for use in the UK, but for $32,000 why not
restore an actual original NADA 3500S with all of the original bits?
Funny what people with a lot of money choose to do with it.

Re Steven's comments, the NADA 3500S had many parts that were unique to
it including the interior door panels with arm rests and pockets, the
hood scoops, and the bumpers, and the grille (though that was mainly a
paint job).

It was the first to have the box pleated upholstery and the round gauges.

It also had steel bars in the doors for added safety. Did other P6s get
these?

How about the rotary knobs for opening the vent windows in the front
doors?  Did they ever appear on other cars?

Glen