[ROVERNET - UK] People who buy Rovers

Netspace vmitps at netspace.net.au
Mon Apr 7 08:33:30 BST 2008

> I never saw the point of the De Dion axle , all the complications of IRS
> and none of the advantages . It was effectively most of  a well located
> solid axle  , with  disc brakes hidden inboard and  the added confusion a
> sliding joint. The Volvo had a well located solid axle , no sliding joint
> ,  accesible outboard disc brakes and an intelligent hand brake . You
> could argue abstruse benefits of reduced %unsprung weight , but this was
> not apparent in real life .

Disagree entirely.
It has the advantages of IRS (lowish unsprung, inependent movement of wheels
on bumps without steer) and the advantage of fixed, being no camber change
under both bump.  There is some under roll, but not as much as IRS.
I rate the backend performance very highly.
I wish they had been more sensible with the calipers...

PVS