[ROVERNET - UK] Re: P6 Design & Rear Suspension Function

Steven Dibdin sdibdin at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 20:59:44 BST 2008

I have to say it P6 suspension is a pretty good piece of work. To get that level of ride quality from a mechanical suspesion design is impressive. I have yet to re-bush the set up on my 68 TC and yet I would say that ride is just a tad below a Citreon CX. Handling isn't just the only yardstick remember.  Handling and road holding for a car developed at the beginning of the sixties is rather good, once you get past the comedy body roll. Balance is pretty nautral, so you can tighten the corner by putting your foot down and widen it by lifting a bit on a corner. Not that I do that everyday, but it is fun to try when you have an open space to play with.

It was an ingenius attempt to solve a existing problem. wether they should have gone down the rout eof IRS, that is another discussion. But my guess is that an IRS system would have cost more to produce. The point here is that River designed a techically advanced car that sold well enough and had a profit margine that allowed them to stay in business. Austin couldn't do that with the Mini, the ADO16 1100 and 1300.

As for US roads being smooth, try living in Brooklyn! I lived there for ten years and had to rebuild the front end of our Golf twice because of the appaling state of the roads.

Cheers,

StevenD