[ROVERNET - UK] Getting IOE blocks properly machined - TORQUE PLATES

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton smokeandsteam at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 19:37:04 GMT 2008

I meant to finish my last note but got side tracked..

>He felt that they were no
> longer as important for the rebuild of these engines because modern
> machining methods use the crankshaft centerline as the data point.  I am
> still of the opinion that the availability of an IOE style torque plate
> is important to an IOE rebuild.

I would agree that the torque plate is a necessity when machining
highly stressed engines especially those with lightweight thinwall or
ally blocks, however a Rover IOE 6 is neither highty stressed nor
noticeably lightweight.

I'm not convinced that I would see a torque plate as an absolute
requirement for a complete rebuild given a truly competent mahinist.
Certainly a torque plate would be desirable thing to have in the
interests of ulimate precision and longevity, but  a re-machined
engine done without benefit of one is probably going to be less
trouble than deferring a needed rebuild because you haven't got all
the gear you might want

Aidrian