[ROVERNET - UK] Leaky TC

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 07:23:18 GMT 2008

Gordon,
There is a small O-Ring (special size and thickness,
wouldn't you know) on the top of the steel block, at
the back, on the right side.  There is a machined
groove on the block surface into which the O-Ring is
placed.  The hole is a passage through which oil is
brought up into the cam shaft area. When the head is
bolted onto the head, the O-Ring is compressed and
creates a seal.  If the wrong O-Ring is used or if
deterioration has taken palce, the oil will leak into
and out of undesireable places.  The special O-Ring is
included in a head gasket kit.  Perhaps Ruth or Pierre
would know if it is available outside the kit.

(The O-Ring is, of course, invisible until you remove
the engine head.)

Hope that helps.

Eric

--- Gordon Harrower <griffo at comcast.net> wrote:

> I only had a chance for a quick glance at it before
> I went to work
> today, but your assessments seem accurate.  The
> engine is dry from the
> bottom of the cylinder head up, but oily below that,
> with traces of oil
> and coolant along the seam.  I've been reading up on
> the repair process,
> but I still don't know what the o-ring to which you
> both refer is.
> Thanks for your help, Gordon.
>
> Vern Klukas wrote:
> > The leak cannot be coming from there, that plate
> seals the water
> > passages, not oil.
> >
> > You either have the o-ring seal between the
> cylinder head and block
> > leaking, or a badly leaking valve cover gasket.
> The latter is trivial,
> > but the O-ring requires replacement by pulling the
> cylinder head. From
> > the amount you describe, I suspect (hope) it is
> just the valve cover
> > gasket that is at fault.
> >
> > Yours
> > Vern
> >

> >> My '68  TC has developed a strong oil leak that
> appears to originate
> >> from the "Rear cover plate" (528106) at the back
> of the cylinder
> >> head. It's bad enough that I lose half a quart of
> oil every couple
> >> weeks, and am getting lots of oil slicks on my
> driveway.  Is this a
> >> familiar problem for anyone?  Is it a typical TC
> problem?  In any
> >> case I'm looking for the "joint washer," i.e.
> gasket, (566850) that
> >> goes under the plate, although I guess I can make
> one if I have to.
> >>
> >> Gordon.

> >> Back-up list and photos at:

Webmaster of The Rover Car Club of Canada
Website:  http://www.roverclub.ca/
Webmaster of a variety of sites from:
http://www.websrus.ca