Gordon Harrower griffo at comcast.net
Thu Jan 24 08:40:53 GMT 2008

All of your responses help--thanks.  Gordon.

Netspace wrote:
> I have bought thicker gasket material, and I do not cut out the 
> straight parts between the bolt bulges.
> Makes for a better gasket all round.
> Check the O ring, it is at the right rear of the block on the same 
> level as the head gasket - it seals the oil feed to the camshaft.
> I have bought a few of these and most thicknesses will do the job!
> Also check the triangular plate on the back end of the camshaft is 
> tight, otherwise you get stacks of oil in the cam cover.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ruotolo Gianluca (MERCATO STAFF)" 
> <gianluca.ruotolo at enel.it>
> To: <rovernet at lyris.ccdata.com>
> Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:02 AM
> Subject: R: [ROVERNET - UK] Leaky TC
> I had to change the tappet cover gasket for a little oil leak, and so 
> did two friends of udine on their 2000 Tc.
> In one case, there was a strong oil leak.
> The gasket you can order in a rover parts shop is made of cork, mine 
> was hand made of "guarnital", a kind of plastic rubber.
> Regards, Gianluca.
> -----Messaggio originale-----
> Da: rovernet-bounces at lyris.ccdata.com 
> [mailto:rovernet-bounces at lyris.ccdata.com] Per conto di Vern Klukas
> Inviato: mercoledì 23 gennaio 2008 16.45
> A: rovernet at lyris.ccdata.com
> Oggetto: Re: [ROVERNET - UK] Leaky TC
> The leak cannot be coming from there, that plate seals the water
> passages, not oil.
> You either have the o-ring seal between the cylinder head and block
> leaking, or a badly leaking valve cover gasket. The latter is
> trivial, but the O-ring requires replacement by pulling the cylinder
> head. From the amount you describe, I suspect (hope) it is just the
> valve cover gasket that is at fault.
> Yours
> Vern
>> My '68  TC has developed a strong oil leak that appears to originate
>> from the "Rear cover plate" (528106) at the back of the cylinder
>> head. It's bad enough that I lose half a quart of oil every couple
>> weeks, and am getting lots of oil slicks on my driveway.  Is this a
>> familiar problem for anyone?  Is it a typical TC problem?  In any
>> case I'm looking for the "joint washer," i.e. gasket, (566850) that
>> goes under the plate, although I guess I can make one if I have to.
>> Gordon.
>> _______________________________________________
>> rovernet mailing list
>> rovernet at lyris.ccdata.com
>> To unsubscribe, go to this web page, look near the bottom and follow
>> instructions:
>> http://mailman.nipltd.com/mailman/listinfo/rovernet
>> Back-up list and photos at:
>> http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rover_net/

More information about the rovernet mailing list