[ROVERNET - UK] rotor arm

slatskars at comcast.net slatskars at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 01:41:30 BST 2008

Eric,

You are so right about the capacitor. To me the classic symptom is that the car will start back-firing at a certain speed on acceleration. It will idle fine. I had this occur on a Moke that I had just done a tune-up on a few weeks previously. se car down and restarted (I had several stops to make), it would start back-firing at about five MPH less. Finally it would not go beyond idle. After towing it home and going through everything imaginable, trouble shooting. I thought, what has changed recently. I had not thrown my old points and capacitor away, so reinstalled the old capacitor, troubles gone. I personally know of the same symptoms and fault on at least three British cars. I think that it was more prevalent in the past on cars with positive ground. I believe that it was due to the manufacturing process used at the time.

Slats
From: Eric Russell <p6rovers at yahoo.com>