[ROVERNET - UK] 3500s auto transmission shifting

Peter King peter at king-co.com
Mon Mar 24 14:26:15 GMT 2008

Hi All,

I recently replaced my 3500s transmission (automatic), and this
weekend, spent some time adjusting the kick-down cable to work
properly. After reviewing the shop manual, It appears the cable is not
original spec, (or the crimped stop on the cable is missing) so the
procedure for measuring the adjustment does not hold up. I've got it
adjusted so it works well now, shifting down when the accelerator is
put to the floor, and at the correct speeds.

It seems as though the light throttle shifting occurs at higher speeds
than it should--20+ mph for first to second, and 30+ for second to
third. The full throttle shifting is in the correct range, 30+ for
first to second, 50+ for second to third. And the maximum throttle
shift changes seem to be at ok speeds.

But on maximum throttle from start, I get what I think might be a
clutch "squeal" at gear shift intervals. This only happens if I keep
the pedal to the floor through all gears. The book describes this
squeal, but says nothing about what to do about it. (The first thing I
need to do is check my belt tension to be sure that's not the squeal
I'm hearing...)

It also seems to shift a bit "harder", not as smoothly as when the
cable was improperly adjusted. When the cable was loose, I had no kick
down at all, but the gear changes from start were smoother.

The book says NOT TO adjust the kick-down cable to change fluid
pressure/gear change speed, but how else would this be adjusted?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Peter

21 drydock avenue