[ROVERNET - UK] 3500s auto transmission shifting

Magnet magnet at roverclub.org
Tue Mar 25 12:28:06 GMT 2008

The kickdown cable on my son's (now my) early 3500S had no crimped stop,
either.  We adjusted it using the pressure measurement method, per the
manual.

Re the squealing, are the bands OK and correctly adjusted?  The front
band is supposed to be self-adjusting, but I've noticed that on a number
of BW type 35s, the little spring on the adjusting screw is not properly
positioned in the slot, rendering the self-adjuster inoperative --
probably incorrect assembly by an earlier rebuilder.  You need to drop
the pan to adjust the front band, but the rear one can be got at from
inside the car, thro' a hole in the floor.   With the pan off the
transmission, you can also adjust the kickdown cable to its correct
setting mechanically, that is, without a pressure gauge.

Re your last point, I think the factory are working on the assumption
that, all else being correct, if the kickdown cable is adjusted to spec,
the shift speeds will be correct.

Cheers,

Bill D.