[ROVERNET - UK] Tachometer and electronic ignigition P6

Ron Morey morey814 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 3 03:28:02 BST 2004

Damien, since you have recently aquired the car I suspect, cynical me, that
the problem was there before you bought it. I doubt it is related to the
electronic ignition-note the email that describes the low current fault-but
is more likely to be the tach electronics. If you know someone who is good
in electronics get them to replace all the electrolytic capacitors in the
tach and to check for bad connections or shorting transistors. These are
more likely the cause. The capacitors dry with age. Any time after 10 yrs is
not predictable. Transistors, especially old ones, dont like heat. It gets
real hot under that dash in the sun. I did this repair to the tach in my TC
about 15 yrs ago and have not had trouble since. It too was erratic and
would occasionally pin or jump about. The cost of parts will be about $10 or
less from an electronics supplier-not Radio Shack. No offence to Tandy.
Hope this helps, Ron.