[ROVERNET - UK] The other P6 heater foam

S Manwell smanwell at sprintmail.com
Fri Nov 4 20:39:57 GMT 2005

Mark,

You have several good responses focussed on the foam seals on the
various flaps, but there is another source of crumbly foam flying into
your face.

I took the heater out of my 2000TC while repainting the upper engine
bay.  The heater looked fine from above, but it turned out that it was
completely rusted out on its lower surface.  Originally there was a
layer of foam sheet below and behind the heater and I believe that this
foam held water and rusted out the bottom of the heater and threatened
to do the same to the base unit in this area.

It appears that the foam sheet on the fire wall and under the heater was
designed to insulate the firewall (heat and sound?) and to form a gasket
between the heater and the air duct opennings in the base unit.  Since
this old foam crumbles at the slightest provocation on the P6's I have
seen, I would guess that the foam no longer insulates or seals well on
any P6.  P6 owners often complain that there seems to be a lot of engine
noise or engine smells getting into the cabin, and I suspect this
crumbly foam may be to blame.

I used a sheet of half inch thick closed cell foam with opennings cut
out for the ducts, but I think that 1/2" foam strips could be used just
for the seals between the heater and the firewall and other insulation
or sound damping materials could be applied to the rest of the
firewall.  I think it is well worth the time to remove the heater and
check for these problems on any P6 that has spent any time out in the
weather.

--Steve Manwell
Melrose, MA