[ROVERNET - UK] Wheels - Lots of info...

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Fri Aug 4 17:08:45 BST 2006

Hi Fletcher et al.,
Even I'm beginning to get confused on this.  I like the
comment that "parts on cars take precedent", so this is
what I have or have had in the way of parts.

I have hubs with 1/2 " studs and 4 3/4" bolt circle.

I have had, but cannot now locate, at least one steel
wheel with welded center which matches these hubs.

I can find no evidence from catalogue or OEM data that
indicates that Motor Wheel ever made a steel Magnum 500 in
anything other than 4 1/2 and 4 3/4 inch bolt circles.
 Studs and nuts may have varied, but all the Rover Magnum
500 I have seen were welded centers and large studs.

Assumption:  If Motor Wheel had made a Magnum 500 with a
5" circle, Rover would have bought them and saved the
expense of machining the hubs for an odd (other than 5")
bolt patern.  Magstar production was such that the centers
could simply be machined to a particular bolt patern, thus
Rover ordered them to fit the stock 5" bolt patern hubs.
 5" Magnum 500 would have required a special stamping
which would have driven the price of the wheels up
considerably.   From the small volume of Magnum 500 and
the short time they were available, it would seem they
were a sort of stop-gap.  The decision to offer styled
wheels evidently came from sales and probably from North
America and the styled wheels were a popular option.
 Magnum 500 and Magstar were never offered outside North
America.  I think Vern's research tends to point in this
direction.

All the Rover RO-stlyes I have ever seen or owned (I have
about 20 wheels in stock now) had a 5" bolt circle and
were rivetted construction.  I have never looked closely
at RO-styles for any other vehicle (MG, etc.) and my
reference should have been to Rover wheels only.   I would
like to see  a set of RO stamped Rover wheels with welded
construction.  They may exist.  I just haven't seen any.
 I would like to see a Magnum 500 with a 5" bolt circle.
 They may exist.  Ford did offer the Magnum 500 at the
same time that some Mustangs had a 5" bolt circle.  I
doubt they were offered in combination. I just haven't
seen any.

There is a slight difference in the relationship between
rim and center on the welded wheel vis a vis the rivetted
wheel.  I seem to remember the welded wheel having a
deeper "dish."

Bottom line:  If your wheels fit your hubs and you are
happy, then I am happy.  If you are ordering used or new
wheels, make sure they fit the hubs you have before you
pay.

And never, never send anything out of the US by way of
USPS.   Peter Mitchell's bonnet badge is lost somewhere
between Texas and Western Australia.  If I have seemed
testy, I appologise.