[ROVERNET - UK] Re: Starters - for SC2000

Geoff Kirkpatrick britcarnut at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 17:52:44 BST 2006

Both those quotes sound high to me.  I live and work in Silicon Valley,
which is far from the cheapest place to have car repairs done.  I've had
two gas tanks cleaned (though not powder coated) in the past few years and
the cost was $100 to $125 each as I recall.  There is a local electrical
shop which has rebuilt numerous starters, alternators, etc. for me over
the years and I think a Lucas starter rebuild ran about $100 last time.
Contact Pacific Auto Electric (PAECO) in Sunnyvale, CA for a quote.  I'll
bet you can ship it to them, have them rebuild it, and ship it back to you
for a lot less than $300.

Good luck -

Geoff

> Ok, the starter is coming off my SC2000. It doesn't work...probably the
> selenoid or ?
>
> I've been told there are two kinds with different bolting patterns - so,
>
> will know soon which one.
>
>  From Southern California....
>
> Anyone know best place to send it out for a rebuild?
>
> How much should that cost
>
> Or
>
> Should I find a new decent one?
>
> I have a quote for a complete rebuild for $315.00 here in LA, but think
> I should be able to do better.
>
> Or, is that in thae ballpark?
>
> Also, got a quote on cleaning and power coating the gas tank for $275.00
>
> plus $300.00 labor.
>
> Groan....
>
> So,  I am going to go with just getting it cleaned out!
>
> Thanks!

"This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him."
- William Lyon Phelps

Geoff Kirkpatrick, 382 Riverside Avenue, Ben Lomond, CA 95005, USA