[ROVERNET - UK] Back on the list

Kent Kinard kkinard at swbell.net
Sat Feb 4 22:26:45 GMT 2006

Hi Dermot,
Good to have you back on list.  I have done the 5spd to auto swap (and
back to 5spd again).  I asume you want to leave the engine in place
rather than pull it.  I think it is six of one and half dozen of the
other.  The only tricky part is getting the pilot bush out of the crank.
  You can use a slide hammer or "push" it out hydraulicly by filling the
cavity completely with heavy grease and giving it a whack with with an
appropriately sized drift or clutch allignment arbor.  Getting an
automatic type pilot bush out of a crank in order to fit a 5spd bush is
a bit harder.  I had to cut the last one in two to get it out.

I have two good sunroof shells if you want to start from scratch...free
if we can work out a transport scheme as there is a P5 in Ohio I'd love
to get to Texas.  All my current stock are 5spd shells but you can
change the pedal arrangement to auto while you've got it stripped down.
  Same for the shifter.  You will need the radiator from the auto if I
remember correctly to fit cooling lines for the trans.

Roverly,
Kent K.