[ROVERNET - UK] NADA

Glen Wilson glenwilson at cavtel.net
Mon Jul 10 23:32:42 BST 2006

On Monday 10 July 2006 14:30, Geoff Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I've heard a few different opinions on this, but I think it's most likely
> an acronym for North American Distribution Area.  I've also heard North
> American Dollar Area and I think one or two others I can't recall.  In any
> case, it refers to cars built for the North American market, ie the US and
> Canada.
>
> Geoff

I'm willing to trust James Taylor on this one:

P. 84  'Rover P6 1963 to 1977'

"Thus was born the NADA (North American Dollar Area) 2000TC..."

<WORDY MODE ENGAGED>

On p. 180, Taylor cites the "Despatch Records now held by BMIHT" as the source
of his production figures. He cites no official models designated NADA. The
TC's that were built for the USA and Canada were simply among the "2000TC LHD
Export" model cars until they started making Mk II "facelift" cars. The MK II
TC's we got are described as "2000TC Mk II Federal LHD" cars.  All 3500S
models exported to the USA and Canada were called "3500S Federal LHD" cars.
There is no "Federal" model designation for any 2000 SC and 2000 Auto cars,
so I assume we simply got generic "2000/SC Auto LHD Export" cars manufactured
between July 1966 and August 1970 or generic "2000/SC LHD Export" cars
manufactured between February 1964 and August 1970. There is no "Federal"
version of the Mk II 2000SC or 2000 Auto, and I believe the only Mk II cars
sold in the USA were 2000TC models. Rover never built a Mk II version of the
Federal 3500S with all its unique features, and the "3500S" moniker was
reassigned to the new manual version of the P6B in June of 1971.

<WORDY MODE DISENGAGED>

Glen

--
Glen Wilson