[ROVERNET - UK] Unique P6s for sale ! ex-works rally, convertible

Glen Wilson glenwilson at cavtel.net
Wed Mar 1 17:31:00 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 08:43 -0500, rweasel at gmail.com wrote:
>  A rather grotesque extension of tis is one of
> the factory MGCGT racers, where that was done, but someone snapped up
> the clapped out bits and restored them, so there are 2 examples of the
> same car.

In a reasonable (if not perfect) world, only one car can have the legal
right to any given vehicle identification number (VIN). Forget about the
license plate number. I would think that the VIN would stay with a P6
base unit unless someone does something dodgey. A P6 base unit IS the
car. Now, in a body-on-frame situation like a P4 or it's close relative
the Lotus Elan, the body may be the car and the frame is just a major
component. But if you took all of the seats, instrument panel,
suspension bits and engine off of a P6, threw them in a pile without a
base unit and tried to make the case that you had an automobile there,
it might be a difficult argument to make.

Glen