[ROVERNET - UK] Re: Originality (was P6 ...)

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Thu Mar 2 18:33:04 GMT 2006

>The fact is that with enough skill and money thrown at it, the most
>mangled wreck can be rebuilt without resorting to re-shelling.

>That's why
>the big-money boys are willing to vintage race their million-dollar-plus
>toys and crash them.  They know that it's just machinery and can be
>repaired.  It may cost them a few hundred thousand, but it can be done.

I would disagree with you here, Geoff. Your example is of cars that
(with rare exceptions) originally either were built by hand or, if in
series production, used simple tooling. As well, the accidents you
see at the vintage races are usually of the fender-bender variety,
rather than the "rolled up in ball" type. And that has little to do
with preserving the car, and is mostly to do with the
self-preservation instincts of the drivers.

Repairing those kinds of cars is a far simpler task than repairing
the pressed steel firewall of a P6 shell, for example, but even so
metal is often replaced rather than straightened.

Metal, and in particular sheet metal, has a finite ability to be
mangled and straightened. Work hardening and the like reduce the
strength, even if you can get the shape back, so often you would have
no choice but to replace the bent parts. And there is no repair
possible for rust, other than replacement.

Now I'm not weighing in on the question of when a car stops being
"original" other than to say I see originality as a wide spectrum
rather than a fixed point of condition.

Yours
Vern

--
Vern Klukas                             I'm a little . . .
Inkspot Type & Design
vern at inkspotco.com