Fwd: [ROVERNET - UK] Springs and things

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Mon May 29 05:24:56 BST 2006

Lance,
Once, way back when........ I removed one front spring
to replace a broken rubber stop.  I used a device that
was essential two, independent, large threaded rods
each with two bent bits of steel welded to thick
collars plus a lock nut for each end. (I think you can
buy these but this one was made by a friend)
The rods were "offered up" to the springs, one end was
secured with a locking nut, and the other nuts were
slowly tightened, alternately, which drew the spring
together.
Do your homework and be careful. This is dangerous.

I just replaced my rear shocks and rear springs.  The
manual is very good.
Use one garage jack to lift car. Remove road wheels.
Use another garage jack under lower arm as it connects
to DeDion tube. <see manual for details>.

Essentially the lower end of the lower arm is
supported, the shock is removed (one nut under rear
seat, four bolts under rear link)the bolts securing
the lower arm to the DeDion tube elbow is removed, and
the jack supporting the lower arm is lowered and the
spring can be removed.  Blah, blah, blah (see manual).

Eric