[ROVERNET - UK] Shell V Power

Ray raywilkins at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 23 13:18:13 BST 2006

I suppose this post is aimed at Australian and possibly New Zealand readers
but I would be interested if other countries have similar fuel. Here in Oz I
have been putting Shell Optimax (unleaded 98 octane) with a fuel additive in
my 1976 P6B auto. I have no complaints and it has been running beautifully.
However, Shell here (other places as well?) are replacing Optimax with a new
98 octane fuel called 'V-Power'. Shell describes the new fuel as: "New Shell
V-Power is a high density, high performance 98 octane fuel which contains
Friction Modification Technology (FMT). New Shell V-Power with FMT is
designed to reduce friction in the engine, improve engine performance and
responsiveness, and give improved acceleration, in comparison with Shell
Optimax." Shell also produce a 95 octane unleaded fuel. I would be
interested to hear what other readers use in their P6Bs. Do I really need
the 98 octane fuel? Or will the 95 octane fuel be OK?

Ray Wilkins
1976 P6B
Melbourne Australia