[ROVERNET - UK] Rover Clubs North East USA.

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Tue Aug 14 07:45:17 BST 2007

S Manwell wrote:
> As Glen pointed out, RSTCA.com is another resource which is operated
> by Glen and is primarily an on-line function.  I hope that I don't
> offend anyone by adding that neither RSTCA, nor the directory is
> presently functioning as a multi-service car club per se.
> --Steve Manwell
> Melrose, MA

Well, maybe slightly offended...

I believe that the Rover Car Club of Canada has organized some Rover
activities in Washington State where some RCC members and even officers
live. Aside from that, every Rover meet held in the United States during
the past ten years was organized under the auspices of the Rover Saloon
Touring Club of America. These meets were only made possible through the
dedication and hard work of RSTCA members who have included Steve
Manwell, Henry Manwell, Stephen Beer, Steve Hall, Garrett Bourque, Jose
Scoseria, Dermot Harvey, myself and others. Dermot hosted a meet at his
place of business. Stephen Beer graciously hosted two annual picnics at
his home in the Hudson Valley. We also met once at the Rhinebeck
Aerodrome in New York, once at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut, once at
the Carlisle Import Show in Pennsylvania, once in upstate New York near
Syracuse, once or twice at the British by the Sea show in Connecticut,
once at the MGs on the Rocks show north of Baltimore, once at Steve
Hall's auto restoration shop in Connecticut, and maybe one or two other
places including San Diego. I didn't do all that, but RSTCA members did.
The only major Rover event in the northeast that was independent of the
RSTCA was the gala event that Dirk Burrowes hosted this past spring, and
that would have been an RSTCA event, as well, had there not been
internal disagreements regarding how it was to be funded. To his credit,
Dirk moved that event ahead on his own and staged a wonderful event in
both Massachusetts and Connecticut.

None of these events would have taken place but for the existence of The
Rover Saloon Touring Club of America. No other Rover club in the world
has organized a Rover meet in the Northeast or anywhere else in the USA
except for the aforementioned activities of the RCCC in Washington
State. This demonstrates the need for every nation to have its own Rover
club. I would be thrilled if any of the "international" Rover clubs
based in the UK would organize events or meet in a pub in the United
States, especially since they have American members who pay a premium
for the privilege of membership. Several UK clubs have been approached
over the years about holding events in the USA, and all have rejected
the notion out of hand. I know that because I contacted them myself. The
idea of forming some sort of American "chapter" to organize events has
also been rejected.

The simple truth is that a national club is necessary if you want to do
more that just read about Rover meets. That is why the RSTCA should not
be pooh-poohed for not "functioning as a multi-service car club per se."
Especially by an individual whose personal dedication and hard work went
at least 50% of the way to making any of these meets possible.

The RSTCA has always been a very loosely organized operation because
only a handful of individuals actually wanted to take part on the
grinding drudgery of organizing and running a club. Getting together at
Rover meets and car shows is fun. All the stuff that goes on behind the
scenes is pretty dull and tedious, sometimes even frustrating and
contentious. Some months back, the handful of principals in the RSTCA
reached an impasse on one issue, just about worked that out and then
disagreed on a second issue. At that point, I registered the RSTCA.com
domain and moved the website to that location. That seemed high-handed
to some, and perhaps it was, but it seemed to me that the entire
organization was going down. Several people asked to have their contact
information removed from the website and to be disassociated from the
club. I later offered to reorganize the club with a voting board of
directors and transfer the domain to one of the other principals, but
that offer has been rejected, as well.

So, yes, the RSTCA serves a limited purpose and does not function as a
multi-service club, but the club survives. We're meeting again next
month near Baltimore where we had ten Rovers in one place last year, and
this year we are going to have a Rover category with three awards.
Whoopee!  And a guy from Seattle just contacted me via the website
asking if there are any other SD1 owners around. So, we're still here,
such as we are...

If anyone else would like to help expand, reorganize or redesign the
RSTCA, expand club services, and do more than simply write a check once
a year, I'd like to hear from you off-list at glenwilson at rstca.com  I am
extending that offer to anyone who reads this message.

Glen Wilson
glenwilson at rstca.com