[ROVERNET - UK] R: New Assignment-OT, and medicare

Ruotolo Gianluca (MERCATO STAFF) gianluca.ruotolo at enel.it
Thu Apr 24 10:14:57 BST 2008

Dear Kent, glad to know you' re well.
I understand your problem about retirement, and I do know I will also have to wait  when it will be the moment for me.

But I also understand that for you is not a problem to give your time to the people and to help them, as you do with us.

About medicare, I think you' re right.
By the way, in Italy we have plenty of problems,difficult to solve, sometimes impossible,   but luckily we do not have big problems about medicare.

By us hospital are state - owned since 1978 and there are the ASL ( aziende sanitarie Locali) for visits and so on, so medical assistance is free, you do only have to pay a little and very cheap ticket.
If you want a private hospital, which is not nbetter, the state will pay the bill for you.

Before 1978 hospital were public institutions belonging to local communities.
So, also before there was a kind of free mutualistic assistance between workers in the different categories, from blue collars to salesmen to deputees in the parliament, and assistance was also free.
At that time if you did not have a job or money the INAM ( Istituto Nazionale Assistenza Malattie) , an institution belonging to the state, payed the hospital bill for you.

In ancient times, there were hospitals manteined by the church and by religious orders, as you do now.

I understand you have to pay this with the taxes, and I know there is a different level of assistance ( and of life ) in northern and in southern Italy, but in my opinion this is a good solution, I pay the taxes and I support it.

None, from left to right, did propose to change this sistem, which is in my opinion not bad.

Best regards, Gianluca.