[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Vacuum servo ???s

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 18:38:43 GMT 2008

My friend and I happened upon an unusual (we thought)
occurrance with 3500 S brakes.  The front brakes
remained locked on.  We searched around, checked the
air control devices and found them OK.  There is a
hydraulic switch that shunts the fluid to the back or
front brakes if there is a fluid loss in one section
or another.  We inserted a special bolt (Peter
machined) to keep that shuttle valve in the middle.
We still had problems with lock on.  I suggested a
"KISS" fault finding method by using spare rubber pipe
to bypass the original pipes which disappeared under
the engine and behind the fan while crossing from one
side of the car to the other.  Suddenly, the brakes
worked well.  To cut a long story shorter :-), we
found that there are metal tubes which carry the
vacuum from one side of the car to the other.  They
are connected by rubber hoses to the servo and to the
brake master.  The metal pipes had become almost
blocked with rust or other crud.  I think we used a
spare speedo cable on a drill to help clear the pipes.
 After the pipes were cleared and reinstalled, the
problem diappeared and we had normal braking.

Eric